Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My two cents...

So far I have held my tongue on the Foley scandal, but I read something today and I felt I needed to comment about. I basically feel disgust at the whole thing and then in to my office today I read this on the internet. I would like to respond to this, specifically to the last sentence of the article which states, "Had Foley lived his life openly and been proud of who he is, this never would have happened."

To Mr. Rodgers (the man who said this). Actually this would have never happened if Mark Foley (a 50 something man) had not been attracted to adolescent boys. Lets not confuse the issue. Being gay does not equal being attracted to adolescent boys (unless you are an adolescent boy yourself). Whatever is in him that thought these actions were okay, is not due to the fact that he is gay.

I hope that he gets help, but I think he will need a lot more than alcohol rehab (which is also not the reason this occurred). It's my opinion that he needs sexual offender therapy. He also really needs to know that he can't be around adolescents anymore (as in no more instant messaging the teens). While I am glad that there was never any physical abuse, I feel like it was only a matter of time. I also think charges also need to be filed. What he did needs a consequence, and it should take more than "I am sorry" or "I was molested by a priest" or "I am gay" to fix it. Stepping off my pedestal now. Good night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen to that