Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My First Time...

WVWV PSAs

I had been waiting for my first time for as long as I could remember. I would hear my parents talk about it, and knew that was what I wanted to do. I was really jealous of people who did it in high school. I didn't turn 18 until I was already into my first semester of college and I remember my first time voting like it was yesterday.

I was so excited. Sure that my vote was going to make a huge difference in the world around me. I remember the polling booth was somewhere on campus (probably the library or the cafeteria) and it was a presedential election year, so I was really excited. Clinton was going to win for sure thanks to my vote. For a long time I was passionate about voting. If you want the world to change, you have to let your voice be heard.

I am alot more cynical about voting these days. My goal now is simply to cancel out my dad's vote. That has my voter responsibilty, and we now see who can get to the polls first. I am disgusted by the negative ad campaigns that almost everyone has these days, and by the fact that no matter who seems to be in office, nothing seems to change.

But then every couple of years around fall I begin to hope again. I start to think, "well maybe this year will be different." And I begin to imagine how my vote will change the world. Better schools, better health care, better mental health care, better roads, better politicians. Who knows maybe this year it might just work. I still think that if I want to change the world I have to let my voice be heard. Let your voice ring out too. Go out and vote.

No comments: