Sunday, September 24, 2006

"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings." Heinrich HEINE
Almansor: A Tragedy, 1823
Used as inscription on memorial at Dachau concentration camp
German poet (1797-1856)



"I don't want to be shut out from the truth. If they ban books, they might as well lock us away from the world." Rory Edwards, 12, Washington Post, Getting It Down at Writing Camp


Anyone who knows me even a little knows how much I love to read. That is why this week is important to me. This is Banned Book Week and if you have a chance take a look at all the books that have been banned at one time or another. I don't know how to link yet so please go to:
www.ala.org

There was never a banned book in my house, so this concept is foreign to me. I can remember being in the 5th or 6th grade and reading the "Flowers in the Attic" series. My father once asked me about what I was reading, so I told him the story of this incestuous brother and sister, and how much they loved each other (I may have even teared up, I was kind of a weird kid). Don't get me wrong he looked at me like I was crazy, but he never told me I couldn't read them. He simply took me to the library when I was done, to get more books. I also feel kinda cool knowing I have read so many banned books.

***The quote I used for the title I read at the place where they burned books in Nazi Germany in the 1930's. It it across from Humboldt University in Berlin. Tquoteute is on a plaque on the ground, and next to it is a window in the ground that shows row after row of empty bookcases. The bookcases represent all the books that were burned during this time. ****

No comments: