Sunday, February 20, 2011

The cost of being free

I just read an article that the government is trying to eliminate 90% of Planned Parenthood's funding. I was in college for 10 years and during 6 of those years I had no insurance. Planned Parenthood was the place I went when I needed lady care. I am the first to admit that government overspends on bogus things. But this feels ugly. Feel what ever you want about abortions, but they are legal. Taking almost the entire budget of PP won't make them go away, in part because federal funding does not pay for them, unless they are the victim of incest or rape. But don't take money away from clinics that help people. All this is going to do is make life harder and scarier for people who lack the resources that all the Senators and Representatives take for granted. I had a health scare when I was in graduate school and PP was the only place I could afford. The staff was so nice, and I felt safe there. I hope someone in the government vetos this horrible idea. I am doubtful that anyone in government cares about anyone not considered tea party material. I Stand With Planned Parenthood.

No comments: